Friday, August 3, 2012

Lauren's Bunk Bed - Mattress Boards 2


I found some time the other night to get a bit more work done on the mattress boards.  I ripped them all to width on the tablesaw, then laid them out to see if I had enough for the bed.  All the boards came out to about 85" and I was looking for 80" so I've got a whole extra board!  

Over to the router table and I used a bullnose bit to put a little detail onto one edge of each board, on the bottom side.  Next I sanded all the boards with a random orbital sander, 80 grit and here is the result :


One more sanding session to 150, then I'll bring them upstairs to apply the finish.  I'll probably put a nail or screw into the ends of each board and then support them between a couple of 2x4s in order to finish both sides at the same time.  

I'm hoping to move her bunkbed into the house this weekend and I think I can do it.  The last thing I have to do is to put together a safety rail, but I'm waiting on that until I get the mattress in place so I can make sure the rail is high enough.  

Originally I was supposed to have the bunk bed done for Christmas, so I'm about 8 months behind.  Lauren's okay with it though, and she's very excited about her new bunk bed.

No comments: