Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Doorbell Cover #3 - Finishing

My last few projects have just been finished with Watco Danish Oil.  This one I wanted to try and get a bit more of a match to old Craftsman furniture, as that is the next big project I have.  I found a recipe from Robert Lang on Stickley finishes and followed it.  I couldn't find any of the finishing products in my local home centers in Canada, but easily found them at Home Depot when we were in the US.

Step one was to sand it.  I did most of the sanding as I was building the project.  I used a random orbital sander to smooth out some of the joints before I added the top.  A bit of hand sanding with some 220 grit and easing the corners with some 120 grit and this piece was ready for some finish.



Step two, an oil based finish, wipe on, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off.  I'm using Minwax Dark Walnut.  A fresh bundle of rags and latex gloves from Lee Valley made this step easy.  The drywall scrap sits on a lazy susan.

 

Step three.  After waiting 24 hours, back to my favourite finish, Watco Danish Oil, Dark Walnut.  Again, wipe on, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe-off.



Step four.  Another 24 hours and time for the finish coat.  Robert Lang says to thin the shellac, but I just applied it straight from the can.  I only used one coat here, but if this piece were to going to be handled I'd do multiple coats with some light sanding in between.

\

Last step, hang it on the wall.  I couldn't dig up any hooks in my workshop, so I just put a couple of screws into the wall and set the cover on them.  It hasn't fallen down yet, but I should probably do a bit better job.  I'll pick up some kind of hanger the next time I go to Lee Valley.



I'm very happy with how this turned out and my wife has already said it's coming with us to the next house.  Hopefully that's a long, long, long ways away.

No comments: