Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Workshop - Floor

After much googling and forum reading I decided on the following for my floor.

Directly on top of the concrete floor I laid out a 6mil polyethylene vapour barrier. My theory was that this would prevent moisture from the concrete floor from moving up into the insulation that would come next. I found much conflicting advice on where to place the vb or whether to have on at all and went with my gut and put one down first.

Next I laid out 2x4x16 pressure treated sleepers, 4" side down, on 16" centers. I nailed this down with my somewhat-trusty Hilti DX-350. The last time I'd used the 460, it had broken and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet. I had a Remington power hammer that I used for the few small jobs that required powder actuated fasteners (PAFs). Since I needed to put in almost 200 fasteners the power hammer was going to cut it for this job. I first tried to get Hilti parts locally, with no success so I went on to hilti.ca to order the needed parts. Naturally, I ordered the wrong part. For some reason I thought it was the piston I needed which is expensive enough at $45, but what I really needed was the fastener guide for $88 (double ouch). Oops. Shipped back the piston and got the fastener guide the next day no problem. Free shipping which is very nice.

Hilti later sent me a nice multi-tool in the hopes of getting more of my business (they probably will).

I used the DX350, 3" galvanized nails with a pre-mounted steel washer and red charges to knock in a little less than 200 fasteners. After the first hundred I found my padded bike gloves and that made the next 100 go a lot smoother for me.

In between the 2x4s I laid out 1.5" white styrofoam insulation sheets. A wee bit less R value than the blue or pink DOW sheets, but about half the price. I scored the sheets with a utility knife then snapped them while sandwiching them between 2-2x4s to keep the line straight.

On top of this I laid out 5/8" tongue and groove plywood subflooring. I realized after the second row that I should have staggered the joints but by then I was too late. I secured the plywood with PL400 subfloor adhesive and 1 3/4" PT decking screws.


No comments: