Monday, June 29, 2009

Playhouse Rocketship - Part 7

The rocketship will be wrapped in 1/8 hardboard which is brown on one side and some sort of durable white finish on the other. This saves me from having to paint it. It's also really cheap at less than $10 per 4x8 sheet.

Each half of the rocketship will get it's own covering, so I started off with a 5' long, 43" high piece to wrap around half of the rocket. After struggling with bar clamps, quick clamps and some tie-down clamps for about 45 minutes, I realized I need to add some support to the edges of the hardboard. It will be secured at three points on the internal structure and the edges in between the rings that were free floating were bowing outwards too much. After much head scratching I realized that I could glue up some 3/4" plywood supports to the very edges of the hardboard to stiffen them up. I used a good glue to make sure they stayed (Titebond III) and pinned them in place before clamping them down to dry.


Lastly I finished up the rocket motors with a second coat of black paint.

No comments: