Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wood Delivery

Christmas came early for me this year.

Rosemary has requested a bed for Lauren and we decided that maple would be a good look for the bed. I called my lumber guy and he didn't have any hard maple, but his supplier had some kiln dried curly maple that he was going to pick up in a week or two, so I ordered up 100bf of the curly maple for the bed.

My lumber guy doesn't normally stock Quarter Sawn White Oak, but he had picked some up from his supplier and offered it to me for $0.25 more per foot than I was paying for the Red Oak. I jumped at the deal and ordered 120bf. I also asked him to bring along about $100 worth of Walnut and Poplar.

Before he came I spent a few hours cleaning and organizing the shop and making room in my wood pile. Turns out I hadn't made enough room, and had to clear out even more after he left to make room for all of it.

It was a piece of cake moving the lumber from his truck straight into the wood rack. It's great having a garage workshop with no cars in it!

On the ground is the is QWSO, 1st shelf is scraps, 2nd shelf KD curly maple, 3rd shelf QSWO and poplar, 4th shelf KD curly maple, 5th shelf red oak, top shelf walnut, cherry, poplar and scraps.


I randomly picked a QSWO board and curly maple and ran them through the jointer/planer to see what they looked like. The QSWO looks great and the curly maple will be perfect for Lauren's bed.


  • 100bf of KD curly maple, $300
  • 120bf of QSWO $450
  • 3 walnut boards, and 6 poplar $100
The QSWO is beautiful wood - air dried and very flat, average width 7 1/4". The curly maple is kiln dried and not as flat, so it will require a bit more work - average width 6".

No comments: