Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lauren's Bed - Part 3 - Head board

The head board panels will be just about the same as the foot board and construction was the same. The most tedious part was gluing up the six panels for the head board. Once again the curly maple was a bear to work with. For the last three panels I gave up on resawing and just planed the 1" boards down to 1/4". A waste of wood but much less hassle than the resawing.

I again pre-finished the panels with two coats of Watco Danish Oil, then glued up the panels. The bottom panel has longer rails that will form the legs of the headboard.



Next was gluing up the panels for the two sides, shelf and top of the headboard. The sides and shelf are 8" in width, the top is 9 1/2" so all three were glue-ups. After the glue-up was dry I ran the pieces through my drum sander to smooth them out and get rid of the tear-out caused by the planer.


Once the panels were ready I cut a whole bunch of biscuits to line everything up then used all the long clamps I had to glue up the head board. The top shelf will be added later after the rest has dried.




While waiting for that to dry I gave the foot board caps a 1/2" roundover, then glued the top and bottom caps onto the footboard. I used biscuits to align the parts.


No comments: