Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lauren's Bed - Part 4 - Finishing Foot Board

The next step in completing this bed is finishing off the foot board.  After the top and bottom caps were dry, I needed to do some work on the posts to get them solidly to the foot board.

Before starting that I needed to cut mortises for the bed mounting hardware.  I decided to use bedlocks and hooks from Lee Valley to attach the bed rails to the legs.  I used a 3/8" spiral upcut bit and an edge guide on the router to cut the mortise for the bed hook.  For some additional work I decided to also rout out a recess to accept the flat part of the bedlock that is screwed into the leg.  I did these mortises freehand with a 1/4" straight cutting bit in the router after tracing the outline onto the leg.

The slot mortise is taller so that the hook on the rail can be slid in and then lowered into the bedlock.




The legs will be attached to the frame with 3/8" dowels.  To make sure my drilling was accurate, I picked up a set of four drill guides from Lee Valley.  After making a custom jig to fit the legs, I used a 5/8" bit to drill holes where I wanted to place the dowels.  I then knock a bushing with a hammer into those holes, then screw a 3/8" insert into the bushing.  The 3/8" insert ensures that the the hole I drill for the dowel is precisely placed and 90 degrees to the leg.

After the holes in the legs were drilled, I added spacers to on the inside of the jig and reused the jig to drill the dowel holes in the foot board panel.



Once all the holes were drilled, I glue up the end panel.  The dowels all lined up perfectly.




With the end panel complete, I used a half dozen biscuits to glue the top onto the headboard.



Now all that's left is to :
  • make the bed rails
  • apply finish to the bed rails, head and foot boards
  • cut the poplar slats that will be the mattress supports
  • safety rail

No comments: