Thursday, September 20, 2007

Deluxe Sandbox

Once the swingset was completed on the weekend my Dad and I went to work on Joshua's new 'deluxe' sandbox. You can see the plans we used here at Disney's FamilyFun site :

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/sandbox1/

I had purchased the lumber for the sandbox about a month ago and had it delivered with some materials for my workshop floor and the hardwood for the house. This saved us on money on having to get seperate deliveries and I figured it would give the wood a chance to dry out a bit, which will make the stain stick better.


It took us a little less than 2 hours to carry the wood over to where the sandbox will be, cut and stack it ready for assembly. Since the main frame is 2x12s, most of the cutting was done with a circular saw.


Once all the cutting was complete, it took me another 1.5hrs to assemble all the sandbox, including the lid sections. On one end of the sand box is a hinged lid for the toybox, the other side is open to allow storage of the lid sections.



I'm going to sand the sandbox with some 80 grit sandpaper to take off the mill glaze, then we'll apply a couple of coats of a deck stain to improve the appearance of the PT wood. 6 yards of sand and then we'll be in business.


No comments: