Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kerdi Shower Install

I started working on adding a bathroom to our master bedroom almost a year ago. When I installed the hardwood before we moved in (almost two years ago) I left a blank spot in the large master bedroom so that we could add a bathroom. Almost a year later I started work on that, hiring a plumber to run the supply and waste lines - it was a difficult job to run the lines through the crawlspace and I didn't feel up to it.

After that was completed, I started with the framing, then hired someone to hang and finish the drywall (with me as assistant). After painting I took on the floor as my first tile job ever. It took me forever - well three days anyways. I put down an electric heating mat and Ditra to ensure a waterproof and stable floor. After finishing I thought it was horrible until I added the grout. Now the floor looks great.

The toilet and vanity were installed mostly without issue and I hung the mirror.

Now a few months later it's time to start on the shower. I ordered the Schluter shower kit about the time I started the bathroom a year ago and it's time to start the install.

I had to start by cutting down the drain pipe. The plumbers left it proud of the floor about 6 inches by for the pre-formed shower pan it needs to be about 2" below. I had an old cut-off wheel for my electric drill that was about 3" in diameter. I trimmed it down with a bandsaw to fit inside the drain pipe and then cut that thing down in about 30 seconds. I spent more time thinking about how I was going to get it done than the actual job. I was worried that I'd have to attack it from the bottom which would have been much more messy.



Next I mixed up the mortar and spent the rest of the day hanging sheets of Kerdi like wallpaper. Pretty simple stuff, just follow the instructions and make sure you overlap all of the sheets by 2". The kit I purchased did not have enough Kerdi to cover the entire shower so I'll have to buy some more before I can move on to the next step.

At the end of the day the local inspector stopped for for a visit. I think she approved it :)

No comments: