Friday, July 31, 2009

Kids Table - Part 1

We need a new table for the kids to use - should I go to just go to Ikea and buy one or can you easily build one?" Rosemary asked me this a few nights ago and I was immediately energized into working on a new project.

Of course there was no way we were buying a table from Ikea when I had a workshop full of tools in the backyard and plenty of extra wood! I came up with a plan in my head the next day while I was out for a run and later than night I got to work.

The table size was based off one we already have - a pine table that someone bought when Joshua was born. The new table would be the same size but built of Oak and Walnut. The top would be 24" square and the legs 21" high. With the dimensions decided, it was time to pick out the wood. I dug through the pile of Oak and found a piece a little over 8" that I could edge glue up for the top.

I made this sketchup drawing after I'd already finished the table - but here's what the completed table will look like :



The Tabletop

I set the planer up to spew the shavings onto the driveway, with infeed and outfeed tables to help guide the wood. With this setup I always lose a few inches off the end of the board to planer snipe, but I plan for this so it's no big deal. After the planing is complete it is easy to shovel up the shavings into a barrel - much easier than emptying the dust collector. In fact I usually don't even have to do the shoveling myself - Joshua loves to do it.

After planning down the top board to 7/8", I chopped it up on the mitre saw at 25" to get the three pieces that I'd need for the glue-up. Over to the planer where I cleaned up one edge, then the tablesaw to get a parallel edge.

I lined the pieces up and marked for biscuits, then cut three biscuit slots in each piece to help align them for the glue-up. Joshua joined me at this point to supervise the construction of his new table. After applying glue and inserting the biscuits I clamped the tabletop up tight and stood it in the corner to dry overnight.

The legs will be 1 7/8" thick and since I only have 4/4 stock on hand I needed to glue up a couple of pieces for each leg. For a kids table I decided not to do anything complicated but just leave the edge grain showing on each leg. I figure it'll soon be covered in crayon and pencil marks anyways.

Before closing up through the night Joshua and I planed and jointed some more oak for the legs, I cut out 8 - 2 1/8" x 22" blanks, then glued them up with the rest of my clamps. I'll leave them to dry overnight before finishing them up with the joiner and planer.

No comments: