Friday, July 3, 2009

Playhouse Rocketship - Part 10

After letting the rocketship 'cook' (dry) in the clamps for 24hrs, I removed the clamps and screws then attempted to pull the two halves apart. No dice. More persuasion did not help.

I climbed inside and slid a thin blade around on the first half or back of the rocket which should have only been glued to the bottom circle. Ahh, not so. There were two spots where glue must have squeezed out from the bottom circle onto the top one and securely fastened the side to the top circle. I freed up some of the mess with a flush cutting saw and eventually had to use a chisel to completely free it. I should have used masking tape on the top circle for that half. In any case I eventually got it apart...


It took a little help from my persuader which slipped and bashed a nice crack in the side of the rocket. A curse or two may have been heard in the shop after this incident.


Presto - a crack becomes a back 'escape' hatch.


I used my hand card to move the rocket halves separately to the house. They are pretty light but are large and so awkward to move single handely - as you can see I had some assistance.


Here's the complete-enough-for-now rocketship playhouse fully assembled in Joshua's room. I attached the rocket engines to the bottom circle with 2.5" wood screws before sliding in the top half. Plenty of room for Joshua and I to go inside and read some space books - the first one we read was 'Astronaut Handbook'.



No comments: