Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Morris Chair Complete

It looks like I completed the finish on this Morris Chair back in June 2007, and purchased the vinyl for the cushions a month or two later. Then we waited about a year and a half to move on to the next step - actually finishing the cushions.

I'd planned to do this myself as it the magazine and video make it look really easy. When we asked a knowledgeable sewing person about it she said it would be a little more difficult than we thought. Since I've got lots of other things on my plate without having to learn upholstery, we decided to pay someone to finish this project off.

Back in January we dropped off the vinyl off at a upholstery repair shop and they put together the three cushions for us a reasonable price in about two weeks. I left the stool with them and they put the cushion in the stool, but for the chair I only gave them the frame for the cushion.

That turned out to be a mistake. The added thickness of the cotton batting and the vinyl meant the chair cushion would not fit. Argh. Rather than returning and getting them to fix my mistake, I pulled the material back off one end of the frame and then ran the frame through the tablesaw to cut off 1/4". It took a few tries but I got it to work.

The end result is a very nice chair. The cat loves to sleep on it, and I get to try it out once in awhile.

No comments: