Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Craftsman Ottoman - Part 1

After finishing my latest marathon I'll be taking a month off from running and so will have some time to get back into the workshop.

The first project I'm working on (after cleaning the workshop) is a Craftsman Ottoman. I've already built two of these. The first one I gave away, and the second one which should have stayed with the Morris Chair has been stolen by Rosemary to use on the balcony.

Since I have some vinyl leftover from the Morris Chair project I decided to put together another Ottoman to keep with the Morris Chair. Since it requires less than 7 bd feet of Oak and I already have the plywood for the cushion it won't cost much and will be 'quick' to build. I'm hoping to use up many of the smaller pieces of wood floating around the shop as well which will help clean up the workshop.

I got started this morning by gluing up blanks for the legs. I don't have any 8/4 Oak, so I jointed and planed down some 4/4 Oak, then glued them up for the legs. It took me about 45 minutes to get from the 'find the wood' stage to the 'all glued up' stage.



The piece of wood I selected to cut for the glue ups was 4 3/4" by about 8' and the legs blanks are 16" long. After cutting out the wood for the leg blanks, the leftover piece will be resawn into 3/16" slices to cover the glue lines on the legs.

When I built the other Ottomans I did not have a bandsaw and had to use the tablesaw to resaw, which wastes ~1/8" for the blade. I now have a 14" Ridgid Bandsaw with a 1/2" resaw blade and I will be able to 'save' money by using less wood when resawing :)

Of course I had the wrong blade on the bandsaw so I had to switch over to the 1/2" blade and spent another couple of minutes adjusting the bandsaw to fit the 1/2" blade. Once I had it up and running I ran a few test pieces through and had no trouble resawing down 1/8".

Before I finished I had enough time to cut one slice from the 4 3/4" board that should provide all the veneer for the legs. I need four boards from this one piece of 15/16" and have high hopes that I can get it with the bandsaw. After each slice I'll run the remaining board through the planer to square it up.

No comments: