Thursday, October 29, 2009

Craftsman Ottoman - Part 6

I used my Performax 16-32 Drum Sander for the first time on a 'real' project. The sixteen vertical slats of the Ottoman are 3/4" thick. I ripped them at about 7/8" from 3/4" stock, then ran all the pieces through the drum sander to remove the saw marks. In the past I've done this with a random orbital sander which is more time-consuming and less accurate. The drum sander worked great.

After sanding I cut the tenons on all the pieces to match the holes that I drilled in the rails. I then used a chisel to round over all tenons to match the round holes in the rails. You can see the one I've done in the picture below. It took about 30 minutes to round over all the tenons and do a little light sanding to remove the sharp edges.



Next up were the long rails. I cut the tenons the same as on the side rails, rounded over the edges with a chisel and did a quick dry fit to make sure they were okay.


The legs have a four-sided bevel on top. I used the mitre gauge with a stop block to cut the 15 degree bevel on the top of each leg.


Almost done now. Just the bottom stretchers left to cut and then sand and glue it up.


No comments: