Friday, October 23, 2009

Craftsman Ottoman - Part 3

A little bit more progress on the Craftsman Ottoman.

After removing the legs from the clamps, I ran them through the tablesaw to cut off the excess veneer. The finished size of the legs is 1 3/4", but I since they are glued up out of 1" boards, I had plenty of stock to remove after gluing. When I glued the veneer I had both pieces overhang one edge so the other edge would remain square.

After the tablesaw I ran them through the planer and trimmed them all down to 1 3/4" square.


I am very pleased how they turned out. The veneer will hardly be noticeable once I ease the edges.


I also dug through the wood pile to find wood for the rest of the parts I needed. I jointed, ripped, planed and crosscut all the parts to size. The wide board on the left will be the spindles.



I need two more parts - the shelf and the shelf supports.

The last thing I did was setup my router table to start cutting the mortises in the legs. I'll get that done next, then cut the tenons on the rails with the tablesaw.

No comments: