Thursday, June 7, 2007

New Fridge / Water Line

We had a new fridge delivered the other day. Our previous fridge came with the house which we bought 6 years ago and was probably 10 years old when we took possession. Masking tape held the seals in place and it had a paltry 15 cu ft of storage space.

Rosemary wanted the new fridge to have the in-door ice/water dispenser and we shopped around a bit before deciding on a 22cu ft model that would just squeeze in between the counter and the outer wall of the cabinet line (a 5/8" piece of plywood.

The room underneath the kitchen is unfinished, and the cold water pipe runs about 8ft away from where the fridge is (in the floor below) so I was able to easily tap into the line to run the 1/4" copper pipe to the fridge. I had previously installed a saddle valve on the line for filling up Joshua's water table when it was in the basement, so I decided to pull the copper line out of that and reuse the valve. Later when I read the instructions for the fridge it said to not use that type of pierce valve, but it's working fine so I'm leaving it.


I ran 20ft of 1/4" pipe up the floor to the fridge. Since the floor was all tiled I wanted to run the pipe up through the drywall right behind the fridge. Using the floor register as a reference I measured out to where I thought the wall was, crossed my fingers and drilled a 3/4" hole in the subfloor. If I missed on one side I'd hit the tile, the other side would be the cherry hardwood in the dining room. Lucky for me I didn't miss.

I carved out a hole in the drywall and then poked up a clothes hanger through the hole, grabbing it with a pair of pliers to fish it through the drywall. After taping the 1/4" pipe to the wire I passed it back down the hole and then completed the hookup.

Rosemary is happy with her new fridge and lucky for us Joshua has not yet discovered the water/ice dispenser...

No comments: