Monday, June 18, 2007

Scrape, scrape, paint, paint

A good weekend working on the house.

Friday night I cleaned the fish flies off the shed then scraped off all the loose paint I could. Rather than stripping it down to bare wood I decided to just clean off the loose bits, prime and them paint it. It was last painted in 2003, so it wasn't in too bad shape. There were a couple of non structural rotted pieces of trim on the doors and I did rip those and and replace them.

Saturday I cleaned of the fish flies (again) and primed all of the bare wood areas. I am using an oil based primer and finish coat, so cleaning the brushes is a pain. Saturday night we took a trip to home depot to get some more paint for the trim. I still have some paint for the main shed body so I had them shake that, but I was out of the 'silver gray' for the trim so I bought a quart of that paint. I'd saved the original label so they were easily able to mix it up for me.

Sunday morning we went down the road to do a sprint triathlon. Other than having a terrible swim I had a good time and the weather cooperated.

Sunday afternoon I got back to work on the shed. Painting always seems to take longer than I think it should and this was no exception. I think it took about 1.5 hours to paint the trim and touch up the main body as required. It'll still need a second coat in some places so I'll finish that up late tonight when I get home.

I forgot to take before/after pictures of the shed, but it was looking better on Saturday after the primer had gone on, now it looks almost like a new shed. With the new roof I put on last year it complements the backyard instead of being an eyesore like others around the neighbourhood.

Here's a picture of Joshua and I before start of the triathlon.


No comments: