Friday, July 20, 2007

Back to work


After time off for vacation and sickness I am back in the shop and finally started on the bunk bed. I dug through the wood pile to get to the 2x10s stacked underneath the 2x8s (duh!) and selected two nice ones and one ugly one to glue up to form the blanks for two legs.

I first cut them down to 7' to get them to the approximate length of the legs. Then I ran each through the planer a few times to clean up the surface, ripped them in half and glued them up to form two leg blanks. After letting the glue dry I'll scrap it off then put them through the jointer and planer to square up the blanks.

It took about 45 minutes between starting the planing and finishing the clamping. Note to wife : need more clamps (these 24" bessey clamps will do nicely). Planing the 10" wide boards generates a lot of sawdust - more than my 1hp and dryer vent hose can easily handle. I need to run rigid ducting to the planer to give it more suction power.


No comments: