Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Panel Dry Fit



It's good to see some real progress being made.

I recalibrated my mitre saw using the method described in this post, then cut all the rails and stiles to length.

Next, I cut the 3/8" panel groove in all the rails and stiles using my Canadian Tire dado blade - it's an okay blade but don't buy it unless it's on sale for 50% off - this usually happens at least twice a year.

Finally I planed three of the large panels to fit the groove, then trimmed them to fit into the frames. The rails and stiles are joined with loose tenons which seems a great way to join them, much easier than cutting the tenons on the rails/stiles. This is the first time I've used a loose tenon and I think it's my new favourite (too soon to tell for sure).

I still have to sand the panels before I actually glue this panel up. 3 more to go after this one. As well, I still have to glue up 6 more panels.

No comments: