Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mortise Jig #2

The legs in the bunk bed each need two 1-1/8"x 4-1/8" x 1-1/4" mortises to recieve the safety rails for the top bunk. Though I could cut these with the router using an edge guide, I prefer to use a patterning bit and a custom jig to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

I use my Freud FT2000e plunge router, along with the template guide kit and 3/8" spiral upcut bit. The 3/4" (external diameter) adapter means I need to add 3/16" on each side of the mortise template to get it the correct size.

So the 1-1/8" width needs to be 1-1/2" in the template, the 4-1/8" needs to be 4-1/2". Here's a sketchup model of the jig I made up using 5/8" hardboard.

Here are the pieces cut and ready to be glued up and below you can see the first mortise cut and the jig clamped to the leg ready for the next mortise.

No comments: