Sunday, September 6, 2009

Deck Replacement - Part 6


The deck is finally finished!

Well, almost. Now it needs two coats of solid stain - the darker blue in the above picture. We originally picked the lighter greenish blue, but switched to the dark blue after we saw how the lighter colour looked.

The steps were quite a challenge and probably took more time than the rest of the deck. The rails are removed in the above picture, they and the posts are stained brown to match the house so I moved them out of the way for staining the rest of the deck.

I'm using Superdeck Solid Color & Stain, the same product I stained the house with. It has a 15 year guarantee on siding and 5 year on decks, so I'm hopeful it will last for awhile. The brown colour is a custom match with the house, the blue is 'Slate Blue'.

I really like how the Superdeck goes on, though it is a huge pain to try and clean the brushes and rollers I am using. I've been just putting the brush, roller and tray in plastic bags and keeping them in the fridge in between painting sessions. Keeping them in the fridge prevents the paint/stain from drying out. Once I'm done I'll throw out the brush and buy a new one - I tried cleaning one before when I stained the house and it was a waste of time.

No comments: