Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wooden Inukshuk

The Detroit Zoo, Toledo Zoo, our neighbour's garden, Chickadee magazine, the 2010 Winter Games. We've been seeing inukshuks everywhere and Joshua has taken a real liking to them.

Rosemary tried to put one together a few days ago with him out of rocks we had around the backyard but his sister was determined to knock it over as soon as two rocks were piled on top of one another.

Joshua asked me today to build up a inukshuk out of the blocks we have, but since it was during his sister's nap time I thought it would be a good excuse for us to play together in the workshop.

We dug through the scrap pile and found some leftover construction lumber from still unfinished rocketship playhouse and got started!

The wood was severely cupped (probably why I never used it) so we ran it through the sander to get a flat face, then the planer to flatten the other side.

Next it was over to the bandsaw to cut out the different parts. I tried having Joshua draw the parts to cut but that was too cumbersome so I just had him tell me what size to make and I cut it out. I curved all the sides so they looked more like rocks and we built it up until it was about a foot high.

I tried to convince him to leave in pieces so he could build and rebuild, but he wanted to glue it so that's what we did. Over to his workbench where we glued it up then clamped it up.

Here's Joshua removing the clamp a few hours later after the glue had dried.


Here's Joshua with his finished (?) product. He did some sanding with the sponge he's holding and he's asked to paint it as well. If he asks again tomorrow I'll get out some paint for him.


This was a fun and easy project for us to do together. The most time consuming part was running the boards through the sander. I think we finished it up in about 1.25hrs.

No comments: