Monday, September 14, 2009

Garage Painting

My house and back garage are both covered in vertical wood (pine) siding. Both were in need of a new coat of stain when we bought the house and I got started on that last year. The tallest part of the house is a little under 30 feet so I needed to use 3 ladders, including a borrowed 28 footer to get the house done.

I'm not sure how many hours the house took, but it was a lot. I'd have to guess somewhere around 40 hours total? Probably more - it's best not to think about it too much.

In any case, it's time to finish up the garage and I got started on it this weekend. I put in 6.5 hours to cover the front and side that you can see in the picture - that was the first coat. I started on the second coat and that will probably only take 4 hours.

That stain I am using (Superdeck) has a 15 year guarantee, and I'll be happy if it lasts 10 years. It's only sold by the gallon and I'll need 11 gallons to do the house and garage. I've been paying between $40 and $50 a gallon depending on if it's on sale.

The stain goes on pretty easy, I'm rolling it on and the back brushing. It dries quickly and it's thick enough that there are no visible runs. I'll have to wait and see how it holds up over the years but so far I'm very happy with it.



No comments: