Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Deck Replacement - Part 7

Here is the deck with two coats of blue on it. The blue is darker in 'real life', the flash lightened it up a bit. Since I put one coat of stain Superdeck stain on the decking boards before I installed them, they've all got 3 coats of stain. With the protection of the roof overhead I hope this stain will last at least as long as the 5 year guarantee.

The two coats took 1.5 gallons of stain and about 2-3 hours to put on. I did my best to stain in between the cracks of the decking boards as they were originally stained a lighter colour. We are really pleased with the end result.

After finishing I realized that I should have stained the risers on the stairs the tan colour to match the house - oh well, maybe next time (5 years?).

To finish up I need to re-install the railing that I took out for the staining, add a coat of stain to the railing and posts, and stain/paint that green cement step.

To really finish up I need to box in the cement at the bottom of the support posts for the roof and add a railing between the end of the (uninstalled) railing and the support post at the far end of the deck. Those two might take a bit longer.


No comments: