Friday, September 4, 2009

Workshop Organization - Drawers

We bought this cheap Rubbermaid cabinet to fill a space in our old house and provide some storage Joshua's games and toys in his basement playroom. When we moved into our new house, we decided that we did not want it inside and so it was banished to my workshop to provide some storage before I finished up the workshop.

Two years later I'm starting to empty it.


I bought some 26" full extension slides awhile ago from Lee Valley and am finally getting around to building the drawers to go with them. Like most woodworkers I have entirely too much scrap wood hanging around, so I dug through the pile to find the material I needed to build some drawers.

The drawer bottoms will be 3/8" plywood - one of the pieces I found need a small patch before I could use it - some glue and a few staples will hold the patch in place.



The sides come from salvaged plywood, old shelves that were being tossed at my work. After ripping them, cutting the dado for the shelf and cutting them to length, I drilled pocket screw holes in the front and back, then clamp them up before pocket screwing them together. This is how I've build all the other drawers in the shop - no glue and they hold together fine.




I always check the squareness of the draw before putting in the second set of screws - this one needed to be straightened a little before screwing. Again, no glue just pocket screws to hold these together.



After mounting the three drawers, I filled them up with some nails, screws and hardware from the cabinet. I'll probably add some handles later.


The cabinet is on it's way to being emptied - and moved out of the workshop, which will open up a nice spot for Joshua's workbench.



No comments: